I was reading through my old journals from the last 5 years and I came across a journal entry from September 2010.
"September 30, 2010
Thursday
I never thought I could understand what it truly means to literally have your life change within a second.
I received the phone call from my doctor personally. Usually they have their nurses call, but this one called me. They did a biopsy on my neck with a needle. He said it could be one of two things, an infection or malignant lymphoma.
He wanted to schedule a surgical biopsy Monday October 11 at noon. I have to be there at 11am.
Today was a normal day. Woke up, went to the bank, worked, laughed. I was at Bernie and Kristy's (aunt and uncle) when I got the call. Makenna was playing in the living room, wanting me to join her. But when I got the news, I left, really fast.
I held back tears as I drove home
I am 22 years old.
Will I live to see my children grow up?
Will I grow old with my husband?
How long? How much time do I have left?
I walked in the house, Dad was sitting in his chair with his lap top. I told him the news.
He asked me when I found out.
I told him it was about 25 minutes ago.
He teared up and said 25 minutes ago he all of a sudden felt a strong feeling that he needed to write me a letter. And he felt a strong feeling that his daughter was going to need him and her mom to be there for her, more so than they already always are. "
How crazy it was to read that journal entry.
I am very grateful for the life I have been given. For the strength I have been blessed with to overcome adversity. I can't believe all of this was over 5 years ago.
I found out that my Cancer center is holding a ceremony for my for my 5 year cancer free anniversary. I get my name on a plaque at the cancer center and I also get a tree planted there in Goodyear, AZ as a commemoration for surviving.
When my oncologist told me that the other day, I held back tears. I felt so many mixed emotions. But the one thing that hit me hard was that, of course I am happy to be alive and well. But I was more so happy for my sweet Mom and Dad, this journey was not easy for them at all. And being able to share that exciting news from my oncologist was such an amazing feeling.
Here's to another 5 years!
No comments:
Post a Comment