One Saturday, back in August, I was at work, having fun with the girls, doing hair, the works. Most of my clients that day were regulars, but my last client of the day was a new one. Her name was Kelly. Kelly sat in my chair and I started to do the normal consultation that I do with every client. We talked about her hair, what look she was going for, what challenges she may have been having with it lately, etc, etc. The appointment went well as usual. Kelly ended up loving her hair and all was well. I really didn't get a chance to get to know her too well this time.
About 5 weeks later, Kelly, came back for another appointment. This time, we talked more, and got to know each other better. We were talking about guys I believe, and I was telling her about the different ones I had dated or associated with over the years, the more recent ones at that time we were ones we talked about more. She then asked a question that I was not expecting at all. "Are those guys Mormon?". At first, I was a little surprised, most people haven't asked me that before. She said "They sound like they are Mormon." I said, "Yes, the past few are" She said "The only reason why I asked is because, I am Mormon". Now, Kelly had just moved into town from Phoenix, Arizona. She called the salon for her first appointment (Based on a recommendation) they gave her the option of 2 different stylists (one was me). And, randomly, I was the Stylist she ended up with.
So after Kelly had told me she was also a member of the church. I told her that I was as well. She went on to tell me that she was baptized a few years back, and hadn't been to church in over a year. I proceeded to tell her about the different congregations and meeting times we had out here. We talked a bit more about the church but then that was the end of the conversation for the day.
5 weeks later, I received my diagnosis about my health. I had been really frazzled, and stressed. It was hard for me to decide when I would tell my clients. Kelly had an appointment that evening (about 6 days after I received the official news)we had developed a friendship, there are some clients that you have friendships with, some that you have more of a business relationship with. (typically they are the ones who don't come in very often, that you don't know as well) So, Kelly came in, and we decided what we were gonna do to her hair, I walked back, mixed up the color (still debating in my mind, I hadn't told all my clients and still to this day there are a few who don't know) So I told her. I told her all about the cancer, my treatment plan was still in the works at the time. I was telling her how I started doing things to de-stress my life, I removed toxic people, petty stress inducers, I took up yoga, and was considering learning more about meditation. When we got to that topic, she said that she was taking a meditation class downtown the next night and asked me to attend with her. So, I went to the UMKC website (which is where the class was being held) and signed up.
The next evening we met up, went to the class (well, we got to the campus, and couldn't find the class, so we went to Kona Grill instead, but hey, going out could be a form of meditation) After that, we became really good friends.
The next month and half or so we would meet up, go get food, go shopping, etc. We continued talking about normal girl stuff, guys, life, and goals (well, those may not all be everyday topics, but that's what we would talk about most). Every once in a while the Church would be brought up. At one point, I extended the invite to Kelly to attend church with me. The next few weeks were booked for her. But, the first Sunday of December she was able to attend with me.
We went to my branch (congregation) up in Platte City, MO. The day before I had mentioned bringing her to a few individuals, so she was able to meet them too. This was her first time attending an LDS meeting in over a year. And, it happened to be the testimony meeting (they do this once a month, where everyone in the church has the opportunity to fast and to share their own testimonies with each other). Kelly was only able to stay for the first meeting, and had to leave. I stayed for the rest, and then headed down to Tulsa. The next day, Kelly texted me and was so happy, she felt the spirit, and realized that this is what she had been missing. I thought that was really neat.
So, the next week we went again. This time it was Stake Conference (Stake Conference is when all the congregations in the surrounding area come together and meet, and listen to church leaders and members give talks) I was able to introduce her to a few more of my friends. The talks that were prepared were amazing, they were about life, about the Savior, about missionary work, about service, about this holiday season. It was so wonderful. After church, we went back to the house, ate lunch and continued to talk about life, the gospel and goals. Kelly proceeded to tell me that for a long time she felt she had been missing this in her life. She always had the desire to come back, but at the time wasn't able to. She was telling me how she knew that I was placed in her life for a reason, and how I was a stepping stone in her life, for her to get back to where she wanted to be in her life. She was saying how she knew we were supposed to meet, because she could have gone to any stylist back in August, and how she chose me. She was saying how the Lord certainly does work in mysterious ways in people's lives. Since then Kelly and I have become more like sisters. We have both helped each other these past few months, she has especially helped me during this difficult time.
I share this story, not to make it's focus on myself, but to testify that people are placed in our lives for a reason, whether its for a lifetime, or for a season. (yes that rhymed.) This is something that I have been thinking about a lot. About all the people who are in my life, and who have been in my life especially these past few months. I have also been troubled lately too, because there are some whom were "temporarily" in my life, but aren't really a part of it anymore. (they haven't necessarily moved away, they just haven't been around like they were before) I know that people do come and go, and for the ones who have gone, I am so grateful for the time we spent together, and the memories we created. I have learned a lot from them. It's always sad when friendships run their course, and I have never fully understood why they do. I have always tried to put so much into relationships, with family, friends, acquaintances, etc. But, You know who the true ones are, when they reciprocate. Now, I'm not shunning anyone, or throwing anyone under the bus by any means. This has just been heavy on my heart lately. When I found about my cancer,I have also really found who my true friends are. And, I know the friendships that have been strengthened and the new ones that have developed over the course of the past months, will be lifetime friendships. I'm thankful to those individuals, and for you reading this. I am also thankful for the ones who aren't around anymore. Some of them have taught me how to not care about what others think, some have taught me to stand up for myself, some have taught me to love adventure and spontaneity, and some have taught me how to appreciate the simple things. To not worry so much about material things. And though, I miss those moments, and those particular people, I know that we were in each others lives for a reason, and of course I still see them, like I said, they didn't move far away or anything. Maybe this is a way for me to get rid of that heaviness on my heart. I still think very highly them, and my wish is that those individuals receive all the happiness in the world.
I am so thankful for learning opportunities, thankful for blogs.. this has helped me in many ways to process things and to clear my mind. I am so thankful for life and for the opportunity to live. I have moments where I don't want to finish the chemo, because it is so hard, so hard on my body. I don't really talk about it with anyone, I mean I talk about it every day because people ask me, but I don't talk about my true feelings, I think I do it to protect those around me, I don't want them to hurt knowing that I sometimes hurt. But, I just remind myself everyday, that come March I will be done with chemo. That is so so soon. And my dear and new friend Jessica said that we will plan a "Celebration of Life" Party. So that's what I do, I look ahead, I look past the treatments that await, I look past my new fear of hospitals, IVs, and medicine. And I look at the sunshine, the warm weather, going to the Lake, going on a roadtrip, wearing my favorite white sundress and walking around outside smiling and laughing with my friends, and having a full head of hair again. Those moments keep me focused.
No comments:
Post a Comment