Sunday, February 6, 2011

Finding Clarity

I am so happy. I can't remember the last time I was this happy. Despite having cancer, these past 6 months have probably been the calmest, funnest (not sure if that's the proper way to use that word), happiest I have had in years. For the first time, I don't let things get me down like I did before. I am not as sensitive or easily offended like I was before. I even LOVE things that 6 months ago, I NEVER would have thought I would love.

I feel clarity for the first time, I go with the flow. I am content. I am calm. I am happy.

I love, love, LOVE what I do everyday. I love being at the salon. I love the girls I work with. I love the friendships/sisterships we have made. I love art. I love makeup. I love exploring. I love nature. I LOVE ALASKA :) I love my Parents and Brother. I love documentaries. I love learning and expanding my mind. I love fire and hunting. I love being outside. I love waking up to a new day. Before Cancer or B.C., it would take me forever to crawl out of bed. I wasn't enthusiastic about starting a new day. I ALWAYS had to be somewhere, be with people, be doing something or I wasn't happy. But Now, I enjoy getting out of bed in the mornings. I love what each new day brings, even if it's not "exciting". Even if it is a day full of chemo, full of being sick, full of physical pain, I still enjoy being able to wakeup and to have the opportunity to face and learn from each new day.

I am beginning to feel, and believe that this trial is what I needed. I needed it more than I realized. Before, I was on this downward spiral, I felt like my life was beginning to be out of control. I remember thinking to myself "I am going to be like this forever?" And then, I woke up one day and it drastically changed. I was scared. I was unsure of what the future held. I felt like I was walking through a dark forest and wasn't able to see the clearing. But now, I finally made it to that clearing. I never thought I would get here. But, I did. I survived. I was able to make it through one of the hardest, realest, unimaginable things. But, I faced it, denied it, tried to run from it, accepted it, embraced it, and learned from it. Now, I know I can get through anything. I know that life really isn't as bad as I was making it before.

I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, you are incredible. I love your optimism and the smile you seem to have cemented to your face. Your good nature, testimony, and humility make you even more beautiful (if that's possible). Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so sweet Erin! Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy we have been friends for so long. Can't believe at how fast as time has gone. You are amazing yourself. Love you lots girl :)

    ReplyDelete