Remember my little Hero whom I mentioned a few weeks back? Well, I received an update. She is doing well! The chemo has shrunk her tumors by 85%! This news makes me so happy. Unfortunately, she will have to do 30 more weeks of chemo. 30 weeks.. I cannot even imagine. This sweet little girl is the strongest girl I know. Well, one of the strongest, I feel anyone who is fighting for their lives against a deadly disease deserves recognition for their strength and courage. I'm not trying to say that you guys need to give me recognition or anything, I am talking about the other survivors and fighters.
Reality hit me a few days ago, a patient whom I met and became friends with down in Tulsa passed away on Saturday. He was so strong. When his wife called to tell me the news I was devastated, devastated for her, for her family. I went to his funeral last night, It made me realize how serious cancer really is. I still see myself as invincible. None of us are, that's why it is so important not to take life for granted, not to hold back, and not to ever give up on anything. (unless it's a bad habit)
I was talking to an acquaintance of mine today at the salon. She is the Vice President of Gilda's Club here in KC. She and I were able to talk and such, which was nice, we were talking about people who are touched by cancer, it not only affects the person, it affects their family, their friends, their circle of trust. It's something that one will always have to wonder about, not necessarily worry about constantly, but it is something that will always be apart of a Cancer Survivor's life. I hadn't really thought about that before. I mean I figured once I was done with treatments, I would be done and never have to worry about it. But, I agree with her, it will always be a part of me, I will always have to get regular scans done to make sure it hasn't come back, or to make sure I don't have a different kind. I may always have to wonder when I find a random lump. (at least I know I won't put it off for 6 months like I did last time) IT will ALWAYS be a part of me. But, I see it also as a good thing, it has changed me, it has taught me, it has hurt me, but it hasn't taken away my strength. It may have stolen my hair and my vanity. It may have invaded my body without permission, but, it hasn't won. I am the one who is winning. Just thinking about that, keeps me from dreading going down to Tulsa to get hooked up to a machine for 5 hours. Well, I still dread it, but, It at least puts things in perspective. And allows me to have a bit of peace of mind. It's crazy, as soon as I start to think about the IV, I instantly get that metallic taste in my mouth, the one that lasts for several days after the chemo. I instantly feel sick to my stomach, because that is usually how I feel right after. It's crazy at how powerful the mind really is.
I was looking at the calendar today.. about 30 days (give or take) left of chemo. I never thought I would see the day. I remember starting the countdown when it was over 100 days. Time certainly flies, and I am okay with that for the time being.
Anyway, I am again so grateful for each and everyone one of you, especially my dear, dear friends and family. The ones who have been their for me since day 1. The ones who talk to me, listen to me, cheer me up or comfort me when I am scared or upset. I am thankful for the prayers and the support. I am thankful for the Savior and Heavenly Father for giving me the strength I have needed to get through this journey
I am thankful for life!
I am thankful for Art
I am thankful for so many things.... All of you whom I "tagged" in the "Cancer Survivor" picture.
Thankful for my new salon! My business (which is growing.. by the way... you all are MORE than welcome to come visit me at RIO!! Call 816-587-5299 and make your appt today!... I had to take advantage of the opportunity to promote myself.. thank you for understanding)
Thankful for good books..
Thankful for all the random documentaries I have been able to watch... (BJ, I knew you would like that one.. haha thank you for listening to all my random facts that won't ever help you in life.. unless you have to gut a Moose in Alaska)
Thankful for my dear friends Kelly, Karen, Marla and your wonderful family, Morgan, Sonia and the Rio Girls, Alyssa, Whitney and your wonderful family as well, Brittany, James, Jessica, Kate, Katie.. and So many other dear ones!!
Lauren,
ReplyDeleteYou really have a gift to see the good. Great post.
Those documentaries are important to watch. Now I can understand how those rural Alaskans are surviving up there... and I'm impressed. I would definitely mount the moose head over my bed, but they have the strength not do that. They humbly use it all.